11 of the Funniest Real Estate Quotes (and Advice) from Modern Family’s Phil Dunphy
If you watch Modern Family, then you know who Phil Dunphy is. A family man who supports his family by working as a Realtor had dropped several funny one-liners that would make anyone giggle, especially those in the same profession. Real estate can be a tough job, especially when times are tough and uncertain. So, to keep your spirits—or, to just so you can see some positive news for a change—check out these quotes and advice from none other than our favorite TV real estate professional, Phil Dunphy!
- “You know what? You can insult a lot of things about me. My hair, my voice, my balance support exercises. But, don’t insult my selling. That crosses a line. What line? Oh, you don’t see it? That’s because I sold it.”
Confidence is key when you’re a real estate agent. In this industry, you sometimes need to have thick skin for the client that breaks up with you for another agent or the offer that doesn’t get accepted. Be able to keep your emotions separate from your work (okay, you’re allowed to be excited when your clients close on their home), and you can stay focused on the aspects of working as a real estate agent that keeps you going strong.
- “Guess what? I’ve been in your home when you weren’t home. And yours. And yours. No, I’m not a burglar. I’m a Realtor!”
One of the coolest aspects of being a real estate agent that we often take for granted is getting to see all these amazing homes. Sometimes, it’s like you’re living on the set of MTV Cribs (depending on your market, of course!). It’s very rare that people can get this much alone time in an office that isn’t theirs during a proper workday. You’re not a burglar, you’re an agent, so take advantage!
- “If you show enough houses, you learn all the tricks. Every Realtor is just a ninja in a blazer. The average burglar breaks in and leaves clues everywhere, but not me. I’m completely clueless.”
Don’t ever underestimate your abilities as a real estate agent (or Realtor). And, also, find ways to laugh in everyday life, even if it is at a silly joke like this!
- “Two things I bring to every open house? My lucky pen and a smile. I haven’t sold a house all month. Do you see me saying, ‘I’m done’? Never. Because there is no ‘done’ in ‘Dunphy’.”
It can get frustrating when you go some time without closing a deal. That’s why it’s important to prepare for those slow months. But aside from that, the most important thing you can do is just stay positive. Things always go in waves, especially when you’re dealing with the housing market. So, just keep pushing through. You’ll be alright!
- “Lorraine, you are a beautiful woman with a lot to offer. Should we make an offer?”
Sometimes, it’s okay to charm your clients (as long as you’re being professional and not making anyone uncomfortable). Being a real estate agent is as much as knowing the hard skills as it is having an approachable and likable personality.
- “Today I get to talk about the love of my life. Residential real estate.”
Do you love being in real estate? Don’t be afraid to show it! The more you show that you love what you do, the more clients will want to work with you because of it.
- “Think inside the box. That’s right, I said inside. Because while everyone is chasing each other outside, what is the box? Empty.”
There’s a lot of different ways to interpret this advice from Phil Dunphy, and it may just be a simple joke. But, from our perspective, there’s actually a very good point here. There are so many strategies and techniques within real estate, especially in terms of marketing. While it’s certainly good to get creative and think outside of the box, don’t forget about the most basic strategies, because these old-fashioned methods can help bring in clients who aren’t too savvy with platforms like TikTok and YouTube.
- The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen if you just lower your expectations.”
While you should always set the bar high for yourself and you should never lower your standards, as a real estate agent, it’s okay to stay grounded and humble. Sure, you could be chasing after those million-dollar listings, but it’s also okay to stay in your circle of competence until you’re ready to branch out.
- Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration, and 2% attention to detail.
A real estate agent needs to be extremely precise and detail-oriented, but also able to go with the flow. You need to be able to pick up on things quickly and make adjustments accordingly. Were you able to do it here?
- “When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all ‘whaaa?’”
Take this one as you want, but we think Phil Dunphy is saying to take whatever life throws at you and turn it around and flip it upside down.
- “Always Be Closing. Don’t Ever Forget, Great Home Ideas Just Keep Lurking, Mostly Nearby. Often People Question Realtors Sincerity. Take Umbrage, Violators Will – ah, I always forget X.”
These are Phil Dunphy’s “ABCs of Real Estate”. Rules to live by, or just a laugh? Up to you.
Whether you decide to hang up some of these quotes on your wall for inspiration or to make your clients giggle when they come into your office, there’s no denying that Phil Dunphy has some words of wisdom.
THE LCA BLOG
Weekly articles that cover every aspect of the real estate industry, growing your business, personal development & so much more.
Consistency is the foundation of any successful real estate business. Without it, you’re at risk of failing to capture leads and wasting money on ineffective marketing campaigns. To stay focused and achieve a steady stream of new prospects, you must develop a plan that allows for consistent lead generation efforts. But exactly how do you […]
Many real estate agents begin their careers on a part-time basis, juggling other jobs or commitments as they test the waters of the industry. But if you’re ready to dive in and make real estate your full-time profession, you’ll need to adopt the right strategies to make that transition successful. In this blog, we’ll outline […]
Understanding how to increase lead engagement and conversion goes hand-in-hand with getting leads. Getting leads today is much easier than before. Usually, all you have to do is to increase your budget for PPC to see an additional lead flow. However, lead engagement and conversion offer more opportunities to increase income than having more leads. […]